Friday, May 12, 2006

Happy Mothers' Day Coconut Cheesecake Bars

Hope you all have a good one. Treat people with love all year long, not only on the "kissing up" holidays, like Secretaries' Day, Fathers' Day, Valentines, and especially Mothers' Day. My own mother and I did not have the best relationship, but we eventually made our peace. Forgiveness is not about the other person, we do it for ourselves to heal our own broken hearts and get on with it. I am grateful for the things mom introduced into my life, in particular Julia Child, Jewish delis and bakeries, Asian food, and Las Vegas before the suits and the big corporations took it over. She adored her grandchildren and was happy they called her Granny. I am so glad we eventually had some very good times together. She loved staying up late to watch GOAT BOY on SNL, and would invite me to come over to watch with her. We shared Marie Callender's salads and pie and laughed our butts off. Years later, although weakened by a stroke, she still kept her interest in events of the day and loved to have a manicure and pedicure. She passed away a couple of years ago. I miss her sense of humor, her beauty, and her political savvy. This one is for you, Granny!

Coconut Cheesecake Bars - adapted from Eagle Brand
1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs OR Marias
2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
2 packages cream cheese, 8 oz. size, softened at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup cream of coconut
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon dark rum, it couldn't hurt
2 large eggs, beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 can sweetened condensed milk, 14 oz.
1/2 cup shredded coconut, for garnish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x12 pan. Combine crumbs and melted butter in a bowl and press into pan. Bake for only 5 minutes, to set crust. Let cool slightly. Place remaining ingredients, except shredded coconut, into mixer and combine till smooth. Pour mixture into crust. Sprinkle with shredded coconut. Bake for 20-25 minutes till set. Remove from oven and let cool. Refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight before serving. May be kept covered with plastic wrap in refrigerator up to three days. Serves 16.

1 comment:

Deborah Eley De Bono said...

I came by my love of coconut through my mom and I'll think of her when I try this recipe.